25 Data Points To Recap 2018 Markets
To celebrate Christmas 2018, Milton compiled a list of 25 data points to help recap financial markets in 2018.
- S&P 500, Dow, Nasdaq at or near bear market.
- Equity markets suffered worst monthly losses since October 2008.
- 2018 daily market volatility worst since 2011.
- Fed raised rates four times during 2018.
- Defensive utility stocks outperformed other sectors.
- Financials or energy sectors are worst performers during 2018.
- Stock market out-performers.
- Stock market under-performers.
- 2019 market unicorns with IPOs likely over $1 billion.
- Amazon, Apple, Google, Microsoft all held #1 rank for market cap during 2018.
- Cash is best performing asset class in 2018 beating stocks and bonds.
- S&P valuation is 14x based on Wall Street consensus of $170.
- Argentine Peso lost 50% of its value and needed IMF bailout.
- Venezuelan inflation driving local prices to rise uncontrollably.
- US unemployment lowest since 1969 and wage growth over 3%.
- Crypto mania zapped during 2018.
- Chinese GDP growth slowing during Q4 2018.
- Eurozone growth slowing with Italy recession looming in 2019.
- Oil down near 40% impacting high yield markets into 2019.
- China loves EVs with 18% being electric in 2018.
- FAANG has lost $1.3 trillion in market cap since 52-week highs.
- US auto above 17 million SAAR for fourth year in a row.
- US housing starts rose 5% in 2018 driven by multi-family.
- US consumer spending +3.5% in Q3 2018.
- Wall Street median price target for 2019 is 3,000.
Remember to build your Milton Smart Watchlist here. It's totally free and takes less than one minute. Please reach out to email@example.com with any feedback, questions, or for information about becoming a beta tester.
Apteo, the company behind Milton, is made up of curious data scientists, engineers, and financial analysts based in the Flatiron neighborhood in New York City. We have a passion for technology and investing, and we strongly believe that investing is one of the most reliable and effective ways to build long-term wealth. We build AI tools to help informed investors make better decisions.
Apteo, Inc. is not an investment advisor and makes no representation or recommendation regarding investment in any fund or investment vehicle.
Subscribe to Milton's Blog
Get the latest posts delivered right to your inbox